Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Yesterday's Discovery

Beside my studio is a tall lilac bush with honeysuckle
climbing through it.
The hummingbirds love honeysuckle and sometimes
I am lucky enough to see a hummingbird visiting the
flowers. I am always on the lookout.
I have noticed another little bird in the same bush.
She moves very quickly and I have been able to identify
her as a redstart.


Well, yesterday when I had the hummingbird in my mind,
I caught a glimpse of the redstart.
She always has been in constant motion but that
afternoon she seemed to pause in the middle of the tree.
Very difficult to see inside but I was able to peek into
a tiny opening in the leaves and there she was.

To my surprise, she was sitting on a beautiful nest.




Shortly thereafter, the hummingbird
came by and paused at the top of a
birch tree nearby.


I love these moments!
Hope you enjoyed seeing them, too!

3 comments:

Lori ann said...

Oh my gosh! what a great closeup you got Nan, i loved this. I don't think we have redstarts, i'll have to check. Hummingbirds however love our garden!

Nan and =^..^= said...

Hi Lori,
This little bird is so sweet and the nest is intriquing...I've seen the dad redstart stop by, too.
What kind of hummingbirds do you have?
We just have the ruby throated.

quiltcat said...

That's a wonderful picture of the redstart on her nest, Nan! They were flitting all around the place where we stayed in Maine...definitely part of the Maine experience for me as we don't have them down here in Virginia.